Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fabulous DIY Necklace Display

Ok, I will admit it...My name is Reana and I am a Pinterest addict.  I love finding inspiration for teaching ideas, home decor, recipes, and most of all easy DIY crafts that I would have never thought of on my own!  This summer...it was my goal to actually bring some of those adored pins to life! This is by far one of my favorite Pinterest projects to date!  It was soooooooo easy and literally took 5 minutes once I had all the supplies.  I was not able to find an actual tutorial for this and I have had numerous people ask how I made it, so here ya go!  

You will need:

  • Any size canvas you choose-I picked up a box of canvases from a garage sale for a steal, but I know you can get them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's for a reasonable price!
  • Fabric- I chose a printed duck material because it is thicker
  • Scissors
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Staple Gun
  • Small Screw Hooks 
***REMINDER-If you shop at Hobby Lobby, don't forget your 40% off coupon that you can print from their website or pull up on your phone!  This gal is ALWAYS looking for a deal ;) 

1. Gather your materials 


2. Spread out your fabric, face down on a clean, smooth surface.  Place the canvas on top of it to see how big you need to cut your fabric.  The canvas I am using is 11"x14", so I cut a about 13"x 16".  I didn't actually measure because I am not that much of a perfectionist and couldn't find a ruler ;)


3.  Next, you will want to spray a thin layer of adhesive on your canvas.  I did this outdoors, because the overspray will get on your floors and is no fun to clean up! 

4.  You will want to carefully lay your fabric over the canvas and smooth it out, so there are no wrinkles/ bubbles in your fabric.  

5.  Turn your canvas over and pretend you are wrapping a christmas present, but this time...replace the tape with a staple gun :)  This will give you nice clean corners! 

6.  Finally, trim any excess fabric behind the canvas.  This is completely optional as you will never see the back, but since this is a gift for my sister, I want it looking sharp! 

7.  Now, you will want to screw in the hooks into the wood of the canvas.  You can choose if you want your display to be vertical or horizontal.  I chose to make this one horizontal, so I screwed in 3 hooks to the longest side of the canvas.  Screw them until they are nice and snug.  They may not seem like they want to go in at first, but trust me...they will, if you use a little elbow grease.  

^^^The screw hooks go here ^^^ But I accidentally deleted the picture of this step--woops! 
There ya have it! The CUTEST necklace display EVER!  I've looked and looked, but I could not find the original pin for this.  I found several pictures on Pinterest, but all the links were no longer working.  I did not use a tutorial to make mine, but I used a picture as inspiration.   If you know of the original person, please let me know so I can give him/her credit.




No comments:

Post a Comment